Monday, January 25, 2016

Reusable frame



Just retrieved this painting from the local Fine Arts Society exhibit and thought I'd share a couple photos of how I adapt frames to be reusable. I often paint on hardboard stricking to standard sizes (25x35 cm, 30x40 cm, 35x50 cm) so I bought some matted frames which could be reused easily for group shows where I only need to bring one or two paintings.

It's actually very simple: I mount on the back of the matte four tiny small plates pivoting on the smallest screws I can find in the hardware store (size 1,9x8). Carboard scraps provide extra thickness to keep the hardboard in place. I usually block them in place with packaging tape.

I've also placed sawtooth hangers on both the longer and shorter side. This is not a good practice in general, a lot of people don't like this kind of hangers as they prevent the painting from being parallel to the wall. But so far I haven't had any problem with them in the smaller shows these frames are for.

Adapting a canvas frame is more complicated... I don't have a good example of that but I'll be working on one soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment